Wednesday, November 18, 2009

From the Observation Tower

Kyoto...


This was  a part of the trip I was looking most forward to. Now don't get me wrong, but it just didn't live up to my expectations.  Apologies to Nafumi. And to the butcher. The temples and shrines are amazing.  Nijo Castle was vivid and preserved. We could hear past whispers of numerous lords requesting a presence with the Towugawa Shogunate as we walked the violin hard wood floors.  Nijo Castle  I understand why Nanzeji Temple is revered as the countries holiest. Nanzen-ji Temple
                      
I practiced Aikido at Aikido Kyoto's new zen dojo down an shoulder-wide alley in Nishijin. The school just moved into a new space that was once a Kimono factory. Aikido Kyoto

We savored the carefully cultivated vegetables of the region. We walked the densely trafficked path of the Nishiki Market and drooled. Nishiki Market

But, the vibe was different ... not as positive as Tokyo. Not as welcoming.  Maybe my expectations were to high. I expected a more welcoming and serene place.

We enjoyed our time in Kyoto and we're glad we went. Perhaps if we went with a native of the area we'd enjoyed ourselves more than we did.

No comments:

Post a Comment